Hamilton Pool Preserve - one of the many lush areas in Central Texas
Central Texas counties in red; counties sometimes included in Central Texas in pink
Central Texas is a region in the U.S. state of Texas surrounding Austin and roughly bordered by Brady to Brenham to Seguin to Waco. Central Texas contains the Texas Hill Country and corresponds to a physiographic section designation within the Edwards Plateau, in a geographic context.
Central Texas includes the Austin–Round Rock, Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Bryan–College Station, and Waco metropolitan areas. The Austin–Round Rock and Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood areas are among the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the state. Some of the largest cities in the region are Austin, College Station, Killeen, Round Rock, and Waco. The United States Army's Fort Hood, a large military installation, is located in this region.
The counties (in red) that are almost always included in the Central Texas region are:
Counties (in pink) that are sometimes included in the Central Texas region are:
- "Water Resources NSDI Node". USGS. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Counties, cities and towns in Central Texas". County Maps of Texas. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Bastrop County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "A Vision For Central Texas" (PDF). Envision Central Texas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-01-14. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- "Texas In Focus: Central Texas - Demographics". Texas Window on State Government. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- Blanco County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Burnet County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Gillespie County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Hays County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- TCMA Region 7 Archived April 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Texas State Classification Office Archived January 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Lee County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Travis County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "Burleson County, Texas". Archived from the original on February 9, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
Burleson County is the best kept secret in Central Texas!
- Caldwell County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Barkley, Mary Starr (1970). A History of Central Texas. Austin, Texas: Austin Printing.