Central Bank of Kenya
|Central bank of||Kenya|
KES (ISO 4217)
|Preceded by||East African Currency Board|
The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) (Swahili: Banki Kuu ya Kenya) is the monetary authority of Kenya. The Bank's Head Office is located in Nairobi. CBK was founded in 1966 after the dissolution of East African Currency Board (EACB). Dr. Patrick Ngugi Njoroge is current Governor of CBK and Ms. Sheila M’Mbijjewe the Deputy Governor.
The Bank’s executive management team comprises the Governor, Deputy Governors and heads of departments. The Governor assumes the role of Chief Executive Officer of the Bank and is therefore responsible for its overall management. The Governor is also the Bank’s official spokesperson.
The current governor of the bank is Patrick Ngugi Njoroge. Former Governors of the Bank are:
- Prof. Njuguna Ndung'u (March 2007 – March 2015)
- Dr. Andrew Mullei (March 2003 – March 2007)
- Nahashon Nyagah (April 2001 – March 2003)
- Micah Cheserem (July 1993 – April 2001)
- Eric Cheruiyot Kotut (January 1988 – July 1993)
- Philip Ndegwa (December 1982 – January 1988)
- Duncan Ndegwa (May 1967 – December 1982)
- Dr. Leon Baranski (May 1966 – May 1967)
The current Deputy Governor is Sheila M'Mbijjewe. Former Deputy Governors include:
- Dr. Haron Sirima (2011–2015)
- Dr. Hezron Nyangito (2008–2011)
- Jacinta Wanjala Mwatela (2004–2008) served as acting Governor between 2006 and 2007
- Edward C. Sambili (2001–2004)
- Thomas Nzioki Kibua (1993–2001)
- Wanjohi Muriithi (1991–1993)
- Eliphaz Riungu (1988–1991)
- Eric Cheruiyot Kotut(1984–1988)
- Ahmed Abdallah (1967–1984)
Members of the Board
- Mohammed Nyaoga – Chairman of the Board
- Principal Secretary to the National Treasury
- Dr. Patrick Njoroge – Governor
- Nelius Kariuki – Member
- Rachel Dzombo – Member
- Ravi Ruparel – Member
- Samson Cherutich – Member
- Charity Kisotu – Member
- Governor's Office
- Banking Services
- National Payments System and Risk Management
- Bank Supervision
- Financial Markets
- Currency Operations and Branch Administration
- Strategic Management
- Finance and IMS
- Procurement and Logistics Services
- Internal Audit
- Human Resources
- Kenya School of Monetary Studies
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Kenya Gazette. 27 May 2005. p. 1162. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 17 August 2001. p. 1832. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 4 July 1997. p. 1184. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 10 January 1992. p. 22. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 26 October 1986. p. 1398. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 7 January 1983. p. 2. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 16 October 1984. p. 1482. Retrieved 1 January 2013.