C. H. Hanumantha Rao
|C. H. Hanumantha Rao|
15 May 1929|
Chennamaneni Hanumantha Rao (born 15 May 1929) is an Indian economist and writer. He was a member of the National Advisory Council from 2004 to 2008 and chaired the Technical Committee on Drought prone Areas Programme and Desert Development Programme of the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the president of India in 2004, for contributions in the field of Literature and Education.
C. H. Hanumantha Rao was born in Karimnagar, Telangana. He did his PhD (Economics) in 1962 at the University of Delhi and M.A.(Economics) in 1957 at Osmania University, Hyderabad; B.A.,1955, Nizam College, Hyderabad. He was also Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Department of Economics, University of Chicago, 1966–67.
C. H. Hanumantha Rao is the Chairman of the Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad. He remained a member of the Seventh and Eighth Planning Commission and also the Finance Commission of India. On receiving the Padma Bhushan from the president of India in 2004 he said in his felicitation speech: “I learnt precision in writing from Professor Dr Vikas Mishra who was my supervisor for Ph.D thesis. Prof. Mishra used to say, ‘one should always ask whether the sentence that one has written is really necessary’. After reading the first draft of my thesis, he suggested deletion of a number of passages by putting round brackets indicating the portions to be deleted. On one occasion he picked up from his shelf an old draft of his own thesis and showed me the similar round brackets placed by his supervisor, Arthur Lewis who was later to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics.”
- Economic Reforms and Poverty Alleviation in India.
- Regional Disparities, Smaller States and Statehood For Telangana
- Indian Economy and Society in the Era of Globalisation and Liberalisation: Essays in honour of Prof. A.M. Khusro, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, 2004 (eds. jointly with B. B. Bhattacharya and N.S. Siddharthan)
- Rokkam Radhakrishna; Academic Foundation (New Delhi, India) (2006). India in a Globalising World: Some Aspects of Macroeconomy, Agriculture, and Poverty : Essays in Honour of C.H. Hanumantha Rao. Academic Foundation. pp. 29–. ISBN 978-81-7188-516-9.
- "NAC reconstituted". The Hindu. 4 June 2005.
- "Hanumantha Rao Committee Report". Department of Land Resources GOI. 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "CH Hanumantha Rao Committee report". Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices. 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- C. H. Hanumantha Rao (2005). Essays on Development Strategy, Regional Disparities, and Centre-state Financial Relations in India. Academic Foundation. pp. 337–. ISBN 978-81-7188-418-6.
- About us Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad website
- Academic Foundation