|New York Mets|
Born: December 30, 1988|
|September 17, 2014, for the Boston Red Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||9|
Brentz attended South-Doyle High School in Knoxville, Tennessee. He then enrolled at Middle Tennessee State University, where he played college baseball for the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders as a pitcher and an outfielder. He was a consensus All-American in 2009.
Boston Red Sox
Entering 2013, Brentz was ranked as the sixth best prospect in the Red Sox minor league system. He was preparing to participate in spring training of 2013 until he shot himself in the leg during the offseason. Brentz returned to the Pawtucket Red Sox of the Class AAA International League, but missed time in July and August due to a torn meniscus. He posted a .262 average with 19 home runs and 64 RBIs in 88 games between Pawtucket and the Gulf Coast Red Sox, where he completed a rehab assignment, while tying with David Chester for the most home runs in the system.
Brentz was added to the Red Sox 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. He played for Pawtucket in 2014 and was part of the team that won the International League Governors' Cup. After Pawtucket lost the one-game Triple-A World Series to the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Pacific Coast League, the Red Sox promoted Brentz to the major leagues, and he made his major league debut on September 17. He recorded a double off Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Francisco Liriano in his first game for his first Major League hit.
In 2015, Brentz missed time from May 20 through August 2 with a right hamstring strain. In 59 games with the PawSox that year, he hit .232 with 8 HR and 26 RBI. In 2016, Brentz missed the beginning of the season, from April 6 to May 6, with an oblique injury. In 54 games with Pawtucket and 12 games of rehab for the Portland Sea Dogs, he hit a combined .242 with 5 HR and 24 RBI. He also had a stint with the Red Sox that year, hitting .279 with 1 HR and 7 RBI in 25 games. Brentz hit his first MLB home run on June 26, 2016, off Rangers pitcher Martin Perez.
On March 31, 2017, Brentz was outrighted off Boston's 40-man roster, and he accepted the assignment to Pawtucket. He is out of options. He was named International League Player of the Week for the week of June 18. He was also named an IL Mid-Season All-Star and a Triple-A Home Run Derby participant. Brentz, who hit a total of 38 home runs in the derby, defeated Dan Vogelbach in the final round to win the derby title. On November 2, 2017, Brentz had his contract purchased from AAA.
On February 20, 2018, Brentz was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for cash considerations. He was placed on outright waivers on March 24.
New York Mets
On March 26, 2018, Brentz was claimed off waivers by the New York Mets. He was outrighted to AAA on March 28, 2018.
- Rogers, Kendall (January 19, 2010). "MTSU's Brentz living in the moment - Yahoo Sports". Rivals.yahoo.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Brentz's Big Bat, Arm Boost Blue Raiders". Collegebaseballinsider.com. February 2, 2010. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Red Sox sign top two Draft picks". Boston.redsox.mlb.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Bryce Brentz 'lucky' to be OK". Espn.go.com. February 9, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Cafardo, Nick (February 9, 2013). "Red Sox prospect Bryce Brentz accidentally shoots himself in the leg". Boston.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Jackson, Josh (August 26, 2013). "Brentz homers in return to PawSox | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Trio of hot prospects added to Red Sox's 40-man roster". Mlb.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Bryce Brentz Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Red Sox's Bryce Brentz: On rehab assignment". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Red Sox's Bryce Brentz hits first MLB homer". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Red Sox Outright Bryce Brentz". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "International League Players of the Week - OF Bryce Brentz (@PawSox) & LHP Shawn Morimando (@CLBClippers)". @TripleABaseball. June 19, 2017. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Bryce Brentz Named to IL All-Star Team and as a Triple-A HR Derby Participant". Pawtucket Red Sox. Minor League Baeball. July 3, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Ravich, Jared (July 10, 2017). "Brentz slugs his way to Triple-A Derby belt". MiLB.com. Minor League Baeball. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Byrne, Connor (March 24, 2018). "Minor MLB Transactions: 3/24/18". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "New York Mets on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)