Broadcasting House, Cardiff
Broadcasting House is the purpose-built headquarters for BBC Cymru Wales' radio, television and online services, situated in north Cardiff. The building opened in 1966 and consists of three blocks housing studios, offices and technical facilities.
Broadcasting House was designed by Welsh architect Dale Owen (1924-97). It opened in 1966 and has been the headquarters for BBC Cymru Wales since then. It houses studios, offices and technical facilities. The building is located in the Llandaff area of northern Cardiff, near the River Taff. It is close to Danescourt railway station and served by several Cardiff Bus services. The BBC National Orchestra of Wales (BBC NOW) and the BBC National Chorus of Wales moved out of Studio 1 at Broadcasting House into a new facility, BBC Hoddinott Hall at the Wales Millennium Centre in 2009. Much of the BBC television drama studio facilities moved out in 2011 to a new facility in Roath Lock, Cardiff Bay.
In August 2013 it was announced that Broadcasting House and Ty Oldfield, which is opposite Broadcasting House, was for sale, with plans to move to a new a purpose-built headquarters in Cardiff by 2018. The BBC has said that the "ageing infrastructure at Llandaff is clearly reaching the end of the road and it is time to look to the future". It said that they looking at three possible sites in Cardiff;
- Central Square, which is north of Cardiff Central railway station
- Land south of the railway station and
- Land between the Senedd building and the UK headquarters of Atradius.
The BBC has confirmed that Central Square will be the location of their new headquarters building.
Television programmes produced at Broadcasting House Cardiff include BBC Wales Today, Newyddion, Doctor Who Confidential, The Chatterley Affair, Pobol y Cwm, Belonging, High Hopes, Satellite City and The District Nurse.
- "Nations – Wales – BBC Cymru Wales". BBC. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Obituary: Dale Owen". The Independent. 28 November 1997. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "BBC Wales to move to new Foster-designed Cardiff HQ". Architects' Journal. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "BBC Wales to locate its new £170m headquarters at Cardiff's Capital Square scheme". Wales Online. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "New headquarters for BBC Cymru Wales expected to be confirmed shortly at heart of Central Square scheme". Wales Online. 30 November 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Douglas, Torin (2008-10-15). "Entertainment | BBC evicts top shows from London". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-09-17.