Brian Flynn (baseball)
|Kansas City Royals – No. 33|
Born: April 19, 1990|
|September 4, 2013, for the Miami Marlins|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 29, 2018)
|Earned run average||4.22|
Brian A. Flynn (born April 19, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals of Major League Baseball (MLB). Listed at 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m) and 250 pounds (110 kg), he both throws and bats left-handed. Flynn previously pitched in MLB for the Miami Marlins.
Flynn attended Owasso High School in Owasso, Oklahoma, where he played as a pitcher for the school's baseball team. In 2008, he was named The Oklahoman's all-state player of the year. After graduating, Flynn enrolled at Wichita State University, where he played college baseball for the Wichita State Shockers.
On July 23, 2012, Flynn was traded to the Miami Marlins with Jacob Turner and Rob Brantly in exchange for Omar Infante and Aníbal Sánchez. Flynn split the 2013 season between the Jacksonville Suns of the Class AA Southern League and the New Orleans Zephyrs of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League (PCL).
He was promoted to the majors on September 3, 2013, and made his MLB debut the next day. After the season, Flynn was named a PCL All-Star. Flynn made two appearances for the Marlins in 2014, spending the majority of the season with New Orleans.
Kansas City Royals
On November 28, 2014, the Marlins traded Flynn and Reid Redman to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for Aaron Crow. Flynn competed for a spot on the Royals 25-man roster out of spring training in 2015. Flynn was assigned to the Omaha Storm Chasers of the PCL and on April 9 suffered a torn lat muscle in his first and only 2015 appearance.
Flynn began the 2016 season with Omaha. He went 2-1 in six appearances while posting a 3.94 ERA and striking out 14 over 16.0 innings. On May 6, the Royals recalled Flynn. On May 6, Flynn made his first big league appearance since August 7, 2014. Flynn surrendered two runs on three hits, struck out two and walked two over 4.0 innings in a relief appearance against the Cleveland Indians.
- • (June 1, 2008). "Owasso's Flynn an intimidating forceLeft-handed pitching ace stands 6–8". News OK. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Suellentrop, Paul. "Shockers' Brian Flynn fires two-hitter for WSU's second straight over Redbirds | Wichita Eagle". Kansas.com. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Seven Baseball Shockers Selected In MLB Draft". Kake.com. June 7, 2011. Archived from the original on March 17, 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Former Owasso Star Signs With Tigers – KTUL.com – Tulsa, Oklahoma – News, Weather & Sports". KTUL.com. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Frisaro, Joe and Tom Green. Marlins deal Anibal, Infante for Tigers prospects MLB.com. Retrieved July 23, 2012
- Rodriguez, Juan C. (September 2, 2013). "Miami Marlins to promote four more players from Triple-A New Orleans – Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Royals trade reliever Aaron Crow to Marlins for two minor-league pitchers". kansascity.com. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- Flanagan, Jeffrey (February 20, 2016). "KC lefty Flynn happy to be healthy again". MLB.com. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Sickels, Jeffrey (May 9, 2016). "MLB Rookie Report: Brian Flynn, LHP, Kansas City Royals". SBNation.com. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (February 14, 2017). "AL Injury Notes: Flynn, Tillman, Richards, Perkins, Smith, Cishek, Doubront". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved February 14, 2017.