Birendra Narayan Chakraborty
|Birendra Narayan Chakraborty|
|2nd Governor of Haryana|
15 September 1967 – 26 March 1976
|Preceded by||Dharma Vira|
|Succeeded by||Ranjit Singh Narula|
|Born||20 December 1904|
26 March 1976 71) (aged|
Scottish Church College|
University of Calcutta
University College London
|Profession||Civil servant, politician|
Birendra Narayan Chakraborty OBE, ICS (बीरेंद्र नारायण चक्रवर्ती, also Birendra Narayan Chakravarty) (20 December 1904 – 26 March 1976) was an Indian civil servant, politician and the second governor of Haryana.
He attended Kolkata's Scottish Church College, and continued his education at the University of Calcutta. He joined University College London for a BSc in chemistry in 1926. After further studies for the Indian Civil Service examinations at the School of Oriental Studies, London, he passed the examinations in 1928 and joined the ICS in October 1929 as an assistant collector and magistrate in the Bengal Presidency. He was promoted to joint magistrate and deputy collector in July 1930 and to additional district and sessions judge (officiating) in June 1935. In February 1936, he was promoted to full magistrate and collector, and was appointed a joint secretary with the Finance Department of the Government of Bengal in April 1944. As an acting secretary, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 1945 Birthday Honours list.
- "Catalog Search Results | Hathi Trust Digital Library". catalog.hathitrust.org. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- Land and People of Indian States and Union Territories, p. 388, at Google Books
- De, Jatindra Ranjan (1991). The Growth of parliamentary government in India. Bijan Publishers. pp. 228, 231.
- Some Alumni of Scottish Church College in 175th Year Commemoration Volume. Scottish Church College, April 2008. page 592.
- The India Office and Burma Office List: 1945. Harrison & Sons, Ltd. 1945. p. 156.
- "No. 37119". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 June 1945. p. 2955.