Biotherm originated from mineral water. In early 20th century, the French doctor Jos Jullien discovered mineral thermal spring waters under Pyrenees mountain in the southern part of France which contained thermal plankton, supposedly a key to healthy skin and a potent skin rejuvenator. In 1952, intellectual property rights was acquired and she used it in skin care products. Thus, therm in Biotherm comes from thermal plankton, an ingredient found in all Biotherm products. Bio comes from the profession of the founder biologist.
In the years 1940-50, Dr. Jos Jullien, from Joyeuse in Ardeche (France), noticed the presence of a particular substance on the surface of the thermal waters of Molitg-les-Bains. This substance is composed of thermal plankton. With Jeanine Marissal, he works on the potentials of this substance that they integrate with a cosmetic formula. Biotherm was born from this work in 1952 · , under the leadership of Adrien Barthélémy, owner of the Molitg-les-Bains springs. In 1952, Biotherm launched 3 products: La Crème Triple-Usage, Biotherm Cure and Biomains. Biomains, a hands moisturizing cream, is still on the market today. In 1955, 3 years after the creation Biotherm, The New York Times noticed this new French brand: "Plankton is used as aid to beauty."
In 1957, Biotherm started to build its hydration expertise with the launch of La Crème Hydrothermale.
During the 1960s the brand developed several targeted skincare solutions to address specific needs, including its first sun cream and its first "slimming cream". In 1968, Biotherm introduces Bio-Buste Suractive on the market, its first "breast firming cream".
In 1972, Biotherm launched Lait Corporel. This moisturizing body lotion with citrus extracts is still on the market today.
In 1974 Princess Grace of Monaco inaugurates Biotherm research center in Monaco with founder Jeanne Marissal and L'Oréal heiress Liliane Bettencourt. This center includes laboratories and production unit.
In 1981, famous model Marie Hanson appears on Biotherm advertising campaign.
In 1984, Elle Macpherson becomes Biotherm ambassador.
In the 1990s Biotherm entered the Asian markets while developing new products based on aquatic ingredients such as its Aquasource Gel formulated with plankton in 1998. Actress and model Rebecca Romijn appears on Biotherm campaigns.
In 1994, Biotherm inaugurates a new biotechnology center to isolate and cultivate plankton extract (pure thermal plankton) in Tours, France.
In 1997, Biotherm launches its first body fragrance L'Eau Vitaminée
In 2005 Taiwanese-Japanese actor Takeshi Kaneshiro becomes the face of Biotherm Homme in Asia.
In 2006 Stanford University researchers support use of Pure Thermal Plankton in Biotherm formulas
In 2009, American Sex & the City actor Chris Noth becomes Biotherm Homme ambassador. He appears in Biotherm Homme advertising campaign for the latest product launched by the brand Force Supreme, an anti aging cream for men.
In 2012, Biotherm created Biotherm Water Lovers a charity program to protect the world's water, in association with Sylvia Earle's Mission Blue organization Celebrating its 60th anniversary, the brand launched a new biotechnology platform called "Beauty from the deep" with the ambition to find new molecules in aquatic life.
In 2013, Biotherm launches Blue Therapy a range of anti-aging products. American actress and singer Leighton Meester becomes Biotherm global ambassador while Taiwanese Canadian-born actor Eddie Peng starts to appear in Biotherm Homme campaigns in Asia. In Europe, Biotherm Homme started a collaboration with French Football World Champion Bixente Lizarazu and French Sailor François Gabart
In 2015, Biotherm announced Christy Turlington and Candice Swanepoel as new faces of the brand. Italian Olympic Swimmer Luca Dotto was named ambassador for men skincare range Biotherm Homme. The brand sponsored the Aquapower Expedition project led by German windsurfer Florian Jung: a team of athletes and scientists crossed the Atlantic Ocean on a catamaran to raise awareness on aquatic pollution, filming the Atlantic Garbage Patch and other endangered areas.
- "Notre histoire - BIOTHERM". www.biotherm.fr.
- "Biotherm". Biotherm. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- The Troy Record; New York, 25 mars 1957, page 6
- [PDF]Interview of Georges Marissal, cocreator of Biotherm, L'Impartial, May 25, 1959
- "Brest : baptême du bateau de Florence Arthaud - Vidéo" (in (in French)). Ina.fr. 1982-09-28. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Beauty tips, tutorials, advice - Hair & beauty - Beauty products - Beauty - whimn". www.primped.com.au.
- AskMen.com (27 March 2015). "The Most Iconic Faces To Inspire Men's Grooming Over The Past 30 Years".
- "BIOTHERM HOMME TURNS 30 YEARS REVOLUTIONIZING MALE COSMETICS - Magazine Horse". 5 May 2015.
- "In collaboration with Stanford University, Biotherm's biologists discovered a probiotic for the skin". www.newswire.ca.
- "L'acteur Chris Noth incarne la ligne Force Suprême de Biotherm".
- "Happy Holidays from Biotherm and Mission Blue". 6 December 2012.
- Weil, Jennifer (12 June 2015). "Christy Turlington Burns to Front Biotherm".
- Weil, Jennifer (10 November 2015). "Luca Dotto Named a Biotherm Homme Face".
- Rundfunk, Ulrich Knapp, Bayerischer (9 June 2015). "The Aquapower Expedition: "Wir haben noch 1000 Kilometer weit unseren Müll gefunden" - BR.de".