|Edited by||Alfonso Valencia, Janet Kelso|
|Computer Applications in the Biosciences|
Bioinformatics is a biweekly peer-reviewed scientific journal covering research and software in computational biology. It is the official journal of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB), together with PLOS Computational Biology. Authors can pay extra for open access and are allowed to self-archive after 1 year.
The journal was established as Computer Applications in the Biosciences (CABIOS) in 1985. The founding editor-in-chief was Robert J. Beynon. In 1998, the journal obtained its current name and established an online version of the journal. It is published by Oxford University Press and, as of 2014, the editors-in-chief are Alfonso Valencia and Janet Kelso. Previous editors include Chris Sander, Gary Stormo, Christos Ouzounis, Martin Bishop, and Alex Bateman. In 2014, these five editors were appointed the first Honorary Editors of Bioinformatics. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2017 impact factor of 5.481
From 1998 to 2004, Bioinformatics was the official journal of the ISCB. In 2004, as many ISCB members had institutional subscriptions to Bioinformatics, ISCB decided not to renew its contract with the journal. As of 2005, PLOS Computational Biology became the official ISCB journal. In January 2009 Bioinformatics again became an official journal of the ISCB, alongside PLOS Computational Biology.
The proceedings of the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology conference and the European Conference on Computational Biology have been published in special issues of Bioinformatics since 2001 and 2002, respectively.
- Beynon, R.J. (1985). "CABIOS EDITORIAL". Bioinformatics. 1 (1): 1. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/1.1.1.
- "Computer Applications in the Biosciences". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Cox, Barbara. "The Bioinformer nr. 3, 1998 -- Namechange for CABIOS". www.riethoven.org. Archived from the original on 19 August 2006. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Oxford Journals - Life Sciences & Mathematics & Physical Sciences - Bioinformatics - Editorial Board". Bioinformatics. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "15 years of "Bioinformatics"". Bioinformatics. 30 (6): 747. 2014. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btu076. PMID 24642573.
- "Bioinformatics". 2017 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2018.
- Hunter, Lawrence; Altman, Russ B.; Bourne, Philip E. "The International Society for Computational Biology 10th Anniversary". PLoS Computational Biology. 3 (6): e135. Bibcode:2007PLSCB...3..135H. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030135.
- "History of ISCB". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Bioinformatics". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "ISMB Proceedings". www.iscb.org. ISCB. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Brunak, S.; Krogh, A. (1 June 2001). "ISMB 2001". Bioinformatics. 17 (Suppl 1): S1–S4. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/17.suppl_1.S1.
- "Proceedings of the European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB 2002)". Bioinformatics. 18 (Suppl 2): S1–S259. April 2002. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Trachana, Varvara (2013). "Austerity-led brain drain is killing Greek science". Nature. 496 (7445): 271. Bibcode:2013Natur.496..271T. doi:10.1038/496271a. PMID 23598305.