Bánh đúc is a Vietnamese bánh (cake). There are two main types of bánh đúc, the white Northern Vietnamese cake and the green Southern version.
Northern Vietnamese version
In northern Vietnam, bánh đúc is a cake made from either non-glutinous rice flour or corn flour. It is white in color and has a soft texture and mild flavour.photo It is typically garnished with savory ingredients such as ground pork, tôm chấy (grilled ground shrimp),photo fried onions, sesame seeds, salt, peanuts, lime juice, and soy sauce or fish sauce.photo Although it may be eaten on its own, it may also be served hot, accompanied by steamed meat or mushrooms.
Bánh đúc is available at small stalls and is eaten throughout the day.
Southern Vietnamese version
In southern Vietnam, bánh đúc is a dessert made from non-glutinous rice flour. It takes the form of gelatinous blocks that are often colored green by the addition of Pandanus amaryllifolius leaf extract. It is cooked by boiling the ingredients and allowing them to cool, solidifying into a jelly-like sheetphoto that is then cut into blocks.
- Bánh đúc bột gạo - made from (non-glutinous) rice flour
- Bánh đúc bột năn dòn trong
- Bánh đúc gân đá cẫm thạch - veined coloration resembles marble
- Bánh đúc gạo - made from (non-glutinous) rice
- Bánh đúc khoai môn - made with taro
- Bánh đúc mặn - made with salt
- Bánh đúc miền trung - made in the central region of Vietnam
- Bánh đúc ngô - made from maize
- Bánh đúc nộm - bánh đúc salad
- Bánh đúc nóng - hot bánh đúc
- Bánh đúc nước dừa - made with coconut milk
- Bánh đúc nước cốt dừa - made with coconut juice
- Bánh đúc sốt - steaming hot bánh đúc
- Bánh đúc xanh - literally "green bánh đúc"; made with Pandanus amaryllifolius leaf extract
The Vietnamese people have a saying:
Mấy đời bánh đúc có xương, mấy đời dì ghẻ lại thương con chồng.
The literal meaning is: "bones are never found in bánh đúc, just like a stepmother never loves her husband's own children." This couplet is used to describe something very unlikely to happen.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bánh đúc.|