|A version of the Android operating system|
Android 3.2.6 running on a Motorola Xoom
|Initial release||February 22, 2011|
|Latest release||3.2.6 / February 15, 2014|
|Preceded by||Android Gingerbread|
|Succeeded by||Android Ice Cream Sandwich|
|Support ends on February 5, 2019 . Devices need to install the latest update and be within the OEM support period to be eligible for mainstream support; the latest update, however, may not be compatible with all devices.|
Android "Honeycomb" is a codename for the Android platform that was designed for devices with larger screen sizes, particularly tablets and the 8th system of Android. It is no longer supported (newer versions are). Honeycomb debuted with the Motorola Xoom in February 2011. Besides the addition of new features, Honeycomb introduced a new so-called "holographic" user interface theme and an interaction model that built on the main features of Android, such as multitasking, notifications and widgets.
New features introduced in Honeycomb include the following:
- The Email and Contacts apps use a two-pane UI.
- The Gallery app now lets users view albums and other collections in full-screen mode, with access to thumbnails for other photos in a collection.
- The Browser app replaces browser windows with tabs, adds an incognito mode for anonymous browsing, and presents bookmarks and history in a unified view, among other features.
- Redesigned keyboard to make entering text easier on large screen devices such as tablets.
- A Recent Apps view for multitasking.
- Customizable home screens (up to five).
- Metz, Cade (24 Mar 2011). "Steve Jobs vindicated: Google Android is not open". Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "What is Android 3.0 Honeycomb? - Definition from WhatIs.com". Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Google announces Android 3.1, available on Verizon Xoom today". Engadget. Engadget. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "The history of Android". Ars Technica. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- John Brandon. "Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) review". TechRadar. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
| Android 3.0