Andorra in the Eurovision Song Contest
|National selection events|
|Appearances||6 (0 finals)|
|Best result||12th SF: 2007|
|Worst result||Last: 2006 SF 1|
|Andorra's page at Eurovision.tv|
Andorra in the Eurovision Song Contest 2009
Andorra has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest six times, debuting in the 2004 contest. Interest in the contest had been great for a long time, despite the local Andorran broadcaster, Ràdio i Televisió d'Andorra (RTVA), not showing the contest until recent years (citizens could watch it on Spanish and French stations). A majority of the songs have so far been sung in Catalan, the national language of Andorra.
As of 2019, Andorra is the only country to have participated in the contest and never to have featured in the final.
Despite the homeland interest in the competition, Andorra has never qualified for the final. In 2007, a qualification for the final was predicted, but with a 12th-place finish, it just missed out. In the past RTVA held a large reality show contest to select its entry for Eurovision. From 2006, RTVA held an internal selection process to select the Andorran entry for the Eurovision Song Contest.
RTVA confirmed its participation in the 2009 contest in Moscow, Russia. It announced that there would be a public selection process - something not seen in the country since 2005. Andorra's 2009 entry once again failed to qualify, getting only 8 points in the semifinal.
In the finals, Andorra has always given its 12 points to Spain, with the exception of 2007. As the two nations are neighbouring, this has done very little to dispel accusations of political voting which have been going on for a long time. In December 2009, RTVA announced that Andorra would withdraw from the 2010 Contest due to a lack of funding for an Andorran entry. This came after RTVA submitted an entry for the contest, in case funding could be found to submit an entry. However no funding could be found, and so Andorra was forced to withdraw.
Andorra did not participate in the 2011 contest due to financial difficulties, or in the 2012 contest, for the same reason. Andorra did not participate in subsequent contests.
On 8 November 2011, it was announced by the Andorran broadcaster, RTVA, that they would leave the EBU, due to financial reasons and a cut of subsidies from the Andorran government. After a meeting with the EBU director Ingrid Deltenre in June 2012, RTVA decided to stay in the EBU, but said participation in Eurovision is still unlikely.
- Table key
|2004||Marta Roure||Catalan||"Jugarem a estimar-nos"||Failed to qualify||18||12|
|2005||Marian van de Wal||Catalan||"La mirada interior"||23||27|
|2006||Jenny||Catalan||"Sense tu"||23 1||8 1|
|2007||Anonymous||Catalan, English||"Salvem el món"||12||80|
|2009||Susanne Georgi||Catalan, English||"La teva decisió (Get a Life)"||15||8|
|Did not participate from 2010 to present|
As of 2009, Andorra's voting history is as follows:
Commentators and spokespersons
|2004||Meri Picart and Josep Lluís Trabal||Pati Molné|
|2007||Marian van de Wal|
|2009||Meri Picart||Brigits García|
|2010–2019||No broadcast||Andorra did not participate|
- Hondal, Víctor (11 September 2008). "Andorra will participate at Eurovision 2009". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 11 September 2008.
- Jiandani, Sanjay (22 October 2008). "Andorra prepares for Eurovision 2009!". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 22 October 2008.
- Hondal, Victor (13 November 2009). "Andorra submit application to EBU". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 13 November 2009.
- Victor, Hondal (12 December 2009). "Definitely, no Andorra in Oslo". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- Jiandani, Sanjay (6 October 2010). "Confirmed: Andorra will not return in 2011". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 6 October 2010.
- Van Ee, Dennis (10 November 2011). "Andorra: RTVA to quit the European Broadcasting Union". escdaily.com. ESCDaily. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Hondal, Victor (20 June 2012). "Andorra to stay in EBU, no Eurovision return planned". esctoday.com. ESCToday. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Yannoulatou, Fotini (18 May 2006). "Eurovision Song Contest 2006 Semi-Final". European Broadcasting Union. Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Points to and from Andorra - eurovisioncovers.co.uk
- RTVA's Eurovision page
- EuroAndorra, the Pyrenean eurosite
- OGAE Andorra site