Bárány in 2010
13 July 1942
John "Anders" Bárány (born 13 July 1942) is a Swedish scientist working in the field of theoretical physics.
Bárány became a doctor of philosophy in theoretical physics at Uppsala University in 1973 and later became university doctor at the same university. During the 1980s he worked at the Research Institute for Atomic Physics in Stockholm. Since parts of the institute was transferred to Stockholm University and renamed as the Manne Sieghbahn Laboratory, Bárány became a professor there.
Bárány has worked at the Kungliga Vetenskapsakademien. He was an editor at Physica Scripta between 1988 and 1996 and secretary for the Nobel committee in physics between 1989 and 2003. Bárány has been the chairman of the Kungliga Vetenskaps Societeten in Uppsala since 1994, and of the Kungliga Vetenskapsakademien since 2005. He was earlier the chairman of the Nobel Museum.
Bárány is the son of Ernst Bárány and psychiatrist Margit Boman-Bárány, and the grandson of Nobel prize recipient Róbert Bárány. He is the father of Sigrid Bárány, who was winner of the cooking show Sveriges mästerkock, broadcast on TV4 in 2012.
- Anders,Bárány. Non-adiabatic transitions, 1973
- "Anders Bárány". Forskning & Framsteg - Populärvetenskapligt magasin. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Sommar i P1 30/6: Anders Bárány". Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- Stockholm TT. "Akademien skällde ut pratsam ledamot". SvD.se. Archived from the original on July 17, 2014. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Nobelkommittén måste ändra beslutet". svt.se. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Anders Bárány". Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Fysikpriset: Akademien skällde ut pratsam ledamot". Nyteknik.se. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "CV". Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Sådan far sådan dotter: Sigrid och Anders Bárány - Malou Efter tio - tv4.se". tv4.se. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
Media related to Anders Bárány at Wikimedia Commons