Amirthi Zoological Park
|Location||Kannamangalam, Tiruvannamalai District, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Coordinates||12°43′57″N 79°03′24″E / 12.732363°N 79.056673°ECoordinates: 12°43′57″N 79°03′24″E / 12.732363°N 79.056673°E|
|Land area||25 ha (62 acres)|
|No. of animals||174|
|No. of species||20|
Amirthi Zoological Park is a zoo in Tiruvannamalai District in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It was opened in 1967 and is about 55 kilometres (34 mi) from district headquarters Tiruvannamalai city and 25 kilometres (16 mi) from the Vellore city. The area of the park is 25 hectares and one can find beautiful water falls.
Half of this jungle is cleared to serve as a tourist spot while the other half is developed as a wildlife sanctuary. A trek for a kilometre leads one to a full view of seasonal waterfall. The inflow of tourists is more only during the holidays. Animals at the park include spotted deer, mongoose, hedgehog, foxes, reason monkeys, red headed parrots, love birds, tortoises, peacock, crocodiles, wild cats, eagles, ducks, pigeons, wild parrots, rabbits, and pythons.
Development and expansion
- On 13 September 2013, Tamil Nadu government announced that it has allocated 3.5 crore rupees for the development of amirthi zoo. This development will include providing amenities such as resting places, drinking water facility, food joints, pathways connecting waterfalls, information centers and watch towers.
- Tamil Nadu Forest Department has planned to upgrade the mini zoo in amirthi into a small zoo at a total cost of 19 crore rupees. Vellore district collector also informed that Central Zoo Authority (CZA) has approved the upgradation of amirthi mini zoo.
- Elephant camps: Amirthi forest in Vellore Forest division will be one of the probable sites in future hosting rejuvenation camps for temple elephants in the state.
- "Annual Inventory of Animals in Indian zoos" (pdf). Central Zoo Authority. Government of India. 31 March 2017. pp. 218 – 219. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Amirthy Zoological Park". thechennai.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2 Feb 2014.
- "Amirthi Zoological Park". vellore.tn.nic.in. Retrieved 25 November 2010.
- "Amirthi zoo to get Rs 3.5-crore facelift". The Indian Express. 13 September 2013.
- "Rs. 20 crore earmarked for digging elephant-proof trenches, says Minister". The Indian Express. 6 September 2013.
- "Forest Department plans to upgrade Amirthi zoo". The Hindu. 10 October 2010.
- "Amirthi forests may host elephants' camp". The Hindu. 16 February 2012.
- "Amirthi forests may host jumbo camps". The Indian Express. 23 January 2012.