Amina J. Mohammed
|Amina J. Mohammed|
|5th Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations|
Assumed office |
28 February 2017
|Preceded by||Jan Eliasson|
|Minister of Environment|
11 November 2015 – 15 December 2016
|Preceded by||Lawrencia Laraba-Mallam|
|Succeeded by||Ibrahim Usman Jibril (Minister of State)|
27 June 1961|
Gombe State, Nigeria
|Political party||All Progressives Congress|
Amina J. Mohammed (born 27 June 1961) is the current Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations and a former Minister of Environment of Nigeria.
Early life and family
Amina Mohammed resigned from Nigerian Federal Executive Council on 24 February 2017. Previously, Amina Mohammed was a key player in the Post-2015 development process, serving as the Special Adviser to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Post-2015 development planning. In this role, she acted as the link between the Secretary-General, his High Level Panel of Eminent Persons (HLP), and the General Assembly’s Open Working Group (OWG), among other stakeholders.
Prior to this position, Mohammed served as Founder and CEO of the Center for Development Policy Solutions and as an Adjunct Professor for the Master’s in Development Practice program at Columbia University. Previously, she acted as the Senior Special Assistant to the President of Nigeria on the Millennium Development Goals after serving three presidents over a period of six years. In 2005, she was charged with the coordination of Nigeria’s debt relief funds toward the achievement of the MDGs. From 2002-2005, Mohammed coordinated the Task Force on Gender and Education for the UN Millennium Project.
Earlier in her career, Amina Mohammed was Founder and Executive Director of Afri-Projects Consortium, a multidisciplinary firm of engineers and quantity surveyors. She also worked with the architectural engineering firm Archcon Nigeria in association with Norman and Dawbarn, UK.
In 1991, Amina Mohammed founded Afri-Projects Consortium, a multidisciplinary firm of Engineers and Quantity Surveyors, and from 1991 to 2001 she was its Executive Director. Between 1981 and 1991, she worked with Archcon Nigeria in association with Norman and Dawbarn United Kingdom.
In 2017, Mohammed was accused of participation in a Chinese scam to illegally import endangered Nigerian rosewood during her term as Nigeria’s environment minister. The Nigerian government has denied the claims.
Amina Mohammed received the National Honours Award of the Order of the Federal Republic in 2006 and was inducted into the Nigerian Women’s Hall of Fame in 2007.
- "Nigeria's Amina Mohammed swears in as Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations". New China TV via YouTube. 2017-02-28.
- Oak TV. "Amina J. Mohammed resumes at the Federal Ministry of Environment as Minister". oak.tv. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Sustainable Development Solutions Network | Amina Mohammed". unsdsn.org. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Mark Seddon (May 26, 2017). "'Why is she here?': the Nigerian herder's daughter who became UN deputy chief". United Kingdom: The Guardian. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Oak Tv. "Amina J. Mohammed's emotional speech as she steps down as Nigeria's Environment Minister". oak.tv. Oak TV. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- ProsperCSIS (23 July 2014). "Amina Mohammed, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Post-2015 Development Planning".
- "Nigeria: MDGs and Amina Az-Zubair's Footprint 24-November-2011". Allafrica.com. 2011-11-24.
- "U.N.'s No. 2, Amina Mohammad, accused in Chinese scam". Japan Times. November 10, 2017.
- "UN's number two accused in Chinese scam to import Nigerian rosewood". November 9, 2017.
- "New Allegations Challenge the Environment Record of Top U.N. Official". November 9, 2017.
- "Rosewood Export: UN's Amina Mohammed did no wrong, Nigerian govt says". November 12, 2017.
|Positions in intergovernmental organisations|
|| Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
- "House of Reps grill Environment Minister, Amina Mohammed - OAK TV". oak.tv. Oak TV. Oak TV. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "The President has promised to support us to make real difference - Amina Mohammed". oak.tv. Oak TV. Oak TV. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- Oak TV. "Outgoing Minister of Environment, Amina J Mohammed gets emotional at FEC valedictory session - OAK TV". oak.tv. Oak TV. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Oak TV. "Amina J. Mohammed: 'We thought we could intimidate her' - Minister - OAK TV". oak.tv. Retrieved 27 February 2017.