Alvin Scott McCoy (born July 14, 1903; died 1984) was an American journalist of The Kansas City Star who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1954 for local reporting and an outstanding work published the previous year about a series of articles that drove C. Wesley Roberts to resign his RNC chairmanship.
After spending two years at Ford Motor Company agency in Dodge City, Kansas, and one year traveling around the world in 1928–29, McCoy was first employed in newspaper work as a reporter of the Evening Eagle in Wichita, Kansas.
He spent eighteen months on this newspaper and on the Wichita Morning Eagle.
In November, 1930, he joined the Kansas City Star as a reporter and worked on general assignments.
Years later, McCoy served as the Star’s Pacific War correspondent in 1945. That same year he became also a Kansas correspondent of the Kansas City Star, for which he covered state politics, legislature, news, features and some editorial writing as well as scientific stories.
In the 1954 the Board members decided that the Pulitzer Prize in the Local Reporting, No Edition Time category should go to Alvin Scott McCoy of the Kansas City Star from Missouri, “for a series of exclusive stories with led to the resignation under fire of C. Wesley Roberts as Republican National Chairman.
- President of William Allen White Foundation at the School of Journalism at University of Kansas.
- Member of the Kansas University Endowment association
- Member of the research committee of the Kansas Association of School Boards.
- The Pulitzer Prize Archive: A History and Anthology of Award Winning Materials in Journalism, Letters and Arts, Volume 6, Editor Heinz-Dietrich Fischer, Publisher Walter de Gruyter, ISBN 3598301707, 9783598301704, 420 pages.
- 1954 Winners, Awards, The Pulitzer Prizes website
- The Pulitzer Prize Archive: A History and Anthology of Award Winning Materials in Journalism, Letters and Arts (Heinz-Dietrich Fischer ed.). Heinz-Dietrich Fischer. p. 420. ISBN 3598301707.
- The Pulitzer Prizes 1917-1991 (1991). Pulitzer Prize Journalism Entry from 1953, Local Reporting, No Edition Time Jury Report (March 1953) (Columbia University ed.). New York.
- McCoy, Alvin S. "For a full probe. Quick action on resolution for an investigation is delayed in senate". Alvin Scott McCoy. Kansas City Star. Reprinted by permission of the Kansas City Star.
- "Republicans: Storm in Kansas". Time Magazine. March 30, 1953.