Air Commodore-in-Chief is a senior honorary air force appointment which originated in the Royal Air Force and now exists in the air forces of various Commonwealth realms. Appointees are made Air Commodore-in-Chief of a large air force organisation or formation. Initially only the British monarch held air commodore-in-chief appointments. However, since the second half of the 20th century, other members of the royal family have been appointed to such positions in the United Kingdom and the other realms such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
Air commodore-in-chief appointments do not confer a rank, be it air commodore or otherwise. Air commodore-in-chief appointments are more senior than honorary air commodore appointments. The equivalent naval title of Commodore-in-Chief was introduced in 2006.
Prince Edward, Prince of Wales
Prince Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII and then Duke of Windsor), held the following appointments:
1932 –1936 : Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Auxiliary Air Force
King George VI
King George VI held the following appointments:
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II held or holds the following appointments:
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, holds the following appointments:
/ 1953 –: Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets 1953 –2015: Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Air Training Corps
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, holds the following appointments:
1977 –: Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Air Reserve Group of Air Command (since 2011 the Royal Canadian Air Force Air Reserve) 1977 –: Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Air Force
The Duchess of Cambridge
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, holds the following appointments:
- "No. 33831". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 May 1932. p. 3582.
- The Air Force List, September 1943
- "No. 38077". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 September 1947. p. 4469.
- "No. 40140". The London Gazette. 11 April 1950. p. 2051.
- "No. 40140". The London Gazette. 6 April 1954. p. 2051.
- "No. 39864". The London Gazette (Supplement). 26 May 1953. p. 2995.
- "No. 39863". The London Gazette. 26 May 1953. p. 2940.
- "No. 47237". The London Gazette (Supplement). 10 June 1977. p. 7127.
- "The Duke of Edinburgh Hands Air Cadet Patronage to The Duchess of Cambridge, 16 December 2015". Royal Air Force.
- Cliff, Martha. "Kate's badge of honour: The Duchess of Cambridge dazzles in prestigious diamond Dacre brooch to mark the 75th anniversary of the RAF Air Cadets". Daily Mail. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Tominey, Camilla (14 February 2016). "Truth behind Prince George's love of aviation". Daily Express. Retrieved 19 February 2015.