16 October 1973|
Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management|
Hindu College, Delhi
St. Columba's School, Delhi
|Occupation||Political & Social Activist|
|Political party||Aam Aadmi Party|
|Parent(s)||Anil Shastri and Manju Shastri|
|MLA of Delhi Legislative Assembly|
February 2015 – February 2020
|Preceded by||Pradyumn Rajpoot|
Adarsh Shastri (born 16 October 1973), represents Dwarka (Delhi Assembly constituency).
He is leader of Aam Aadmi Party and a Social Entrepreneur involved in promotion of education and other social causes.
After serving corporate industry in various MNCs for 17 years, Adarsh left his job as the Sales Head at Apple India having the salary package of more than 1 Cr. Rupees per annum to join Aam Aadmi Party with the mission to change politics with the values of transparency and probity as espoused by his grandfather, second Prime Minister of India, Late Lal Bahadur Shastri.
Adarsh Shastri is the son of Shri Anil Shastri and Manju Shastri, and is married to Monika Shastri. The couple has twin sons Abhiveer and Abhijai. His father is a former Finance Minister in the Government of India and was elected to the 9th Lok Sabha from Varanasi in 1989. Adarsh is an alumnus of St. Columba's School, Delhi and Hindu College, University of Delhi. He has a Masters in Business Administration from Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi. He is the grandson of Lal Bahadur Shastri, his father being the second son of Shastri.
Presently Adarsh Shastri is looking after overseas organisational affairs as Co-Convenor of Overseas Wing of Aam Aadmi Party.He is instrumental in building a grassroots base of organisation of AAP.
He contested the 2015 Delhi Legislative Assembly elections from Dwarka (Delhi Assembly constituency) and got 79,729 votes out of around 1,35,000 votes polled, defeating the sitting Member of Legislative Assembly, Pradyumn Rajpoot of the BJP by the margin of 39,366 votes.
Adarsh Shastri led Delhi Dialogue along with Ashish Khetan, Meera Sanyal,Preeti Sharma Menon. Delhi Dialogue was a point based initiative of Aam Aadmi Party which aimed to make Delhi a world-class city. which aims to build a realistic and practical plan to achieve the vision. Providing free wifi service to Delhi citizen & bringing government on a web through Smart Governance were part of Delhi Dialogue.
Extending the concept of ‘Delhi Dialogue’, the Aam Aadmi Party’s government constituted Delhi Dialogue Commission in cabinet meeting of Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday approved the setting up of the nine-member Commission.Which later on prepared a 70-point action plan based on dialogues conducted earlier to implement AAP's vision for governance.Adarsh is in charge of ambitious Wifi project and various eGovernance initiatives.
Adarsh was instrumental in managing organisational affairs of Aam Aadmi Party and as the State Observer for Himachal Pradesh for Mission Vistaar which is being carried out by Aam Aadmi Party for organisation expansion across the nation with the objective to reach out to the multitude of citizens of this country, who share the ideology of the Aam Aadmi Party and want to play a meaningful role in nation building and to reorganize the organisational units at various levels through a bottom-up democratic process.
Adarsh Shastri has been the Member of National Manifesto Drafting Committee of Aam Aadmi Party for Loksabha Elections 2014 and was also the Incharge of the Manifesto Drafting Committee & Member of Candidate Selection Committee of Uttar Pradesh Chapter of Aam Aadmi Party in Loksabha Elections 2014.He also contested Parliamentary Elections 2014 from Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh as a candidate of the Aam Aadmi Party.
Adarsh Shastri left his job as the Sales Head in Apple, India and joined Aam Aadmi Party led by Arvind Kejriwal an Anti-corruption activist turned Politician. As per Adarsh he did not join his father's party since he felt he would not be able to fit into the Congress.
He has been instrumental in promoting education particularly in every fold. He is member of pioneer organisations like :
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Educational Society as the Member of Board of Governors. Which was established in 1995 with the mission to be a centre of excellence for value based Management and Technology education and research, through continuous learning, societal responsiveness, and strategic partnerships. Lal Bahadur Shastri Educational Society is successfully running institutions like Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management Delhi(considered as one of the top business schools in India.),Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Indore and Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management & Technology, Bareilly.Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management,Hyderabad is to be started soon.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Seva Niketan founded by Late Lalita Shastri is running educational institutions with the objective of providing basic and vocational education to children.Like Lal Bahadur Shastri Polytechnics, Lal Bahadur Shastri Schools & Inter Colleges located at various locations of Uttar Pradesh organisation is continuously spreading in the field. Lal Bahadur Shastri Seva Niketan has recently started Lal Bahadur Shastri Polytechnic, Manda under leadership of Anil Shastri & Adarsh Shastri which is providing State of the Art Infrastructure to establish itself as Centre of Excellence in the field of providing technical education in the region.
Adarsh Shastri is also a Trustee of Lal Bahadur Shastri National Memorial Trust which runs Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial situated at 1, Motilal Nehru Place,New Delhi where all the amenities of his grandfather are being restored as that were being used by him and his family when they were residing there, including a Fiat car, which his grandfather had bought in instalments from the government and for which he still owed money when he died.1, Motilal Nehru Place is located next to 10 Janpath,the residence of his Grand Father as Prime Minister of India, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Memorial Trust is involved with various socio-cultural activities.
Adarsh Shastri has over 17 years of extensive work experience in sales,marketing, key accounts management, business development & strategy in the telecom and retail industry, both in India and abroad as well.He has been actively involved with the growth of mobile and retail Industry in India and as with any industry in its nascent stage have been one of the pioneers in pushing new sales and distribution norms; and articulating retail and channel development processes.
Adarsh is also the National Secretary of Indian Cellular Association, the apex body of the mobile industry comprising Brand Owners; Technology Providers; Manufacturers; National Distributors; Application, Solution and VAS Providers, Ethical Retailers and eminent Consumers of mobile handsets which has been constituted to provide value and service to the mobile cellular handset industry in India by fuelling its growth, improving competitiveness, helping create a legal and ethical market and regulatory environment, thereby providing long term benefits of mobile connectivity to the Indian masses.
Adarsh Shastri was recently in news to mediate between traders & handset makers to curb online discounts to online sellers like Amazon.com, Flipkart and Snapdeal by brands such as Samsung, Apple and Nokia when India's more than 1.5 lakh small to medium cell phone retailers have been fighting hard to defend themselves against online sellers who are winning over customers by being able to sell phones and tablets at a discount,thus undercutting the brick-and-mortar trade. As the result of this mediation, Nokia, Motorola & HTC had been reasonably open to the idea of price parity between online and retail channels.
Multinational companies which flourished under leadership of Adarsh are :
- Apple as Sales Head, India (Sept 2012- Dec 2013)
- Samsung Electronics as G.M. & Head, Modern Trade Business, India (March 2007- Sept 2012)
- SAGEMCOM as Area Director, South Asia ( March 2004-March 2007)
- Essel Group as Head, Business Development & Operation (Jan 2001 - March 2004)
- Vodafone Essar India as Manager, Sales Operation (Feb 1997- Jan 2001)
Alumni and associations
National Secretary, Indian Cellular Association,(ICA)
Trustee, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Memorial Trust
Member of Governing Board, Lal Bahadur Shastri Educational Society
Member of Governing Body, Lal Bahadur Shastri Seva Niketan
Member, The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India,(ASSOCHAM)
Member, Advisory Cell of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI).
Member, Advisory Body of Confederation of Indian Industry(CII).
Member, National Geographic Society, USA
News and media
Business Standard : AAP for unified transport smart card in Delhi
Yahoo! News : Eye on Delhi polls, AAP begins 'Delhi Dialogue'
The Hindu : AAP launches Delhi Dialogue
Indian Express : AAP launches ‘Delhi Dialogues’ in city; aims to interact with people from different fields
The Economic Times : AAP leader Adarsh Shastri to mediate between traders & handset makers to curb online discounts
Firstpost : From Apple to AAP: Can Lal Bahadur Shastri's grandson win Allahabad?
IBN Live : Congress has strayed from Lal Bahadur Shastri's path of probity, says grandson
India Today:Lal Bahadur Shastri's grandson Adarsh Shastri quits Rs.1 crore job at Apple to join Aam Aadmi Party
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adarsh Shastri.|
- "Delhi Polls: Lal Bahadur Shastri's grandson Adarsh Shastri wins in Dwarka". Economic Times. 10 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Lal Bahadur Shastri's grandson Adarsh Shastri quits Rs 1 ruppee job at Apple to join Aam Aadmi Party 2013". India Today Online. 2013.
- "AAP launches Delhi Dialogue". thehindu.com. 2014.
- "Adarsh Shastri - Aam Aadmi Party's Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, LS - 2014 Candidate". aamaadmiparty.org. Aam Aadmi Party. 2014.
- "Congress has strayed from Shastri`s path of probity, says grandson". zeenews.india.com. 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-20.
- Rajeshwar Prasad (1991). Days with Lal Bahadur Shastri: Glimpses from The Last Seven Years. Allied Publishers. p. 16. ISBN 81-7023-331-3.
- "After Yadav, its Adarsh Shastri to bid goodbye to Samsung". MyMobile.co.in Heena Jatav. 2012. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- "AAP leader Adarsh Shastri to mediate between traders & handset makers to curb online discounts". ET Bureau, Writankar Mukherjee & Ritika Chopra. 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-19.