The following lists events that happened during 2016 in Ethiopia.
- June 13 - Ethiopia and Eritrea argue over who caused a recent border clash between the two nations.
- August 5 - Student protests erupt in Addis Ababa and quickly spread across the country.
- August 8 - Over 50 protesters are killed by security forces over the past few days. Internet and journalist access is also restricted by the government.
- September 5 - 23 prisoners are killed in a fire and stampede at the Kaliti Prison near the capital of Addis Ababa during an attempted prison break.
- October 2 - Police allegedly attack Oromo protesters at a religious festival in Bishoftu, causing a stampede that killed 52 people.
- October 5 - The railway line with Djibouti opens. However, an American women is killed during protests.
- October 9 - A state of emergency is declared following months of protests against the government.
- October 10 - Ethiopia blames Egypt and Eritrea for the recent unrest in the country.
- October 20 - A government minister reveals that over 1600 people have been detained following the state of emergency.
- November 24 - 20 aircraft pilots are detained in Ethiopia's Gambela region after "illegally" arriving from Sudan.
- December 1 - After arriving back from a trip to Europe, Merera Gudina, an opposition leader, is detained for allegedly violating the state of emergency.