2013 American League Wild Card Game
|Date||October 2, 2013|
|Umpires||Gerry Davis (crew chief), Ted Barrett, Mike Everitt, Greg Gibson, Phil Cuzzi, Brian Knight|
|TV announcers||Brian Anderson, Joe Simpson, John Smoltz, and Rachel Nichols|
|Radio announcers||Jon Sciambi and Chris Singleton|
The 2013 American League Wild Card Game was a play-in game during Major League Baseball's (MLB) 2013 postseason played between the American League's (AL) two wild card teams, the Cleveland Indians and the Tampa Bay Rays (the latter winners of a one-game tie-breaker against the Texas Rangers). It was held at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio, on October 2, 2013. The Rays won by a 4–0 score and advanced to the AL Division Series to face the Boston Red Sox, who went on to become the World Series champion of that year. The game was televised on TBS.
|Tampa Bay Rays||0||0||1||2||0||0||0||0||1||4||8||0|
|WP: Alex Cobb (1-0) LP: Danny Salazar (0-1)|
TB: Delmon Young (1)
Rays starting pitcher Alex Cobb recorded 6 2/3 shutout innings and five strikeouts. Delmon Young led off the top of the third inning with a home run, Desmond Jennings hit a two-run double in the fourth, and Yunel Escobar had a one-run single in the ninth. Rays manager Joe Maddon and Indians manager Terry Francona would meet each other again three years later in the 2016 World Series, with Maddon, as manager of the Chicago Cubs, winning 4-3.
- "Game Preview". Baseball Reference. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Rays-Indians Preview". ESPN. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Alex Cobb guides Rays past Indians, into ALDS vs. Red Sox". ESPN. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Chastain, Bill (October 2, 2013). "Famous Rays deliver, topping Tribe in Wild Card". MLB.com. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Still Playing on Road, the Rays Send Another Team Home for Good". New York Times. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- 2013 American League Wild Card Game at Baseball Reference