2012 Tampa Bay Rays season
|2012 Tampa Bay Rays|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Andrew Friedman (de facto)|
(Dewayne Staats, Brian Anderson, Todd Kalas)
Tampa Bay Rays Radio Network (English)|
(Andy Freed, Dave Wills, Todd Kalas)
(Ricardo Taveras, Enrique Oliu)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The Tampa Bay Rays 2012 season was the team's 15th season of baseball, and the fifth as the "Rays" (all at Tropicana Field). The Rays hoped to improve on their 91–71 record from 2011 and make the postseason for a franchise record third straight season. They finished the season 90–72, third place in the AL East, and third place in the AL Wild Card, missing the postseason for the first time since 2009.
The Rays signed catcher José Molina on November 28, 2011 to a one-year, $1.5 million contract with a $1.5 million club option for 2013, with a $300,000 buyout.
On December 13, 2011, the Rays acquired relief pitcher Burke Badenhop from the Miami Marlins in exchange for minor league catcher Jake Jefferies. At midnight that night, Badenhop was one of six arbitration eligible players that were tendered by the Rays, along with outfielder B. J. Upton, starting pitchers Jeff Niemann and David Price, and relief pitchers J. P. Howell and Joel Peralta. Not tendered was relief pitcher and former starting pitcher for the Rays, Andy Sonnanstine.
Relief pitcher Fernando Rodney was signed on January 5 to a one-year contract worth $1.75 million. The deal included a team option for 2013 worth $2.5 million or a $250,000 buyout. In 2009, while playing for the Detroit Tigers, Rodney made news at Tropicana Field when he threw a baseball into the stadium's press box from the field after converting a save. He was suspended for three games following the incident. After being signed by the Rays, he apologized for his actions.
On January 11, the Rays signed Luke Scott to a one-year contract with an option for 2013. He is expected to be the team's designated hitter primarily, though he could also be used at first base.
On January 20, the Rays signed Carlos Peña, bringing him back to the Rays for the 2012 season after just one season away with the Cubs. The contract is worth a year at $7.25 million. He is expected to be the everyday first baseman, as he was in his previous stint from 2007–2010. Outfielder Justin Ruggiano was designated for assignment on January 24 to make room on the 40-man roster.
The Rays announced on February 15 that manager Joe Maddon was given a 3-year contract extension worth $6 million, which would last through the 2015 season.
American League East
|American League East||W||L||Pct.||GB||Home||Road|
|New York Yankees||95||67||0.586||—||51–30||44–37|
|Tampa Bay Rays||90||72||0.556||5||46–35||44–37|
|Toronto Blue Jays||73||89||0.451||22||41–40||32–49|
|Boston Red Sox||69||93||0.426||26||34–47||35–46|
American League Wild Card
|New York Yankees||95||67||0.586|
|Wild Card teams
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|Tampa Bay Rays||90||72||0.556||3|
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim||89||73||0.549||4|
|Chicago White Sox||85||77||0.525||8|
|Toronto Blue Jays||73||89||0.451||20|
|Kansas City Royals||72||90||0.444||21|
|Boston Red Sox||69||93||0.426||24|
Record vs. opponents
- Source: MLB Standings Grid
|2012 Game Log|
|2012 Tampa Bay Rays|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; AVG = Batting average; SB = Stolen bases
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; H = Hits allowed; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Hudson Valley
- Topkin, Marc (November 27, 2011). "Rays trade C Jaso to Seattle for reliever Lueke". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- Topkin, Marc (November 28, 2011). "Tampa Bay Rays' deal with Jose Molina set at $1.5-million". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Topkin, Marc (December 13, 2011). "Andy Sonnanstine, trade for Miami Marlins reliever Burke Badenhop". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- Topkin, Marc (January 5, 2012). "Tampa Bay Rays confirm one-year deal for reliever Fernando Rodney". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- Topkin, Marc (January 11, 2012). "Tampa Bay Rays reach deal with outfielder/designated hitter Luke Scott". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith (January 20, 2012). "Rays To Sign Carlos Peña". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- Topkin, Marc (January 24, 2012). "Ruggiano Designated For Assignment". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Topkin, Marc (January 16, 2012). "Tampa Bay Rays announce manager Joe Maddon's three-year contract extension". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved February 15, 2012.