1993 Kansas City Royals season
|1993 Kansas City Royals|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Herk Robinson|
(Paul Splittorff, Dave Armstrong)
(Denny Matthews, Fred White)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1993 Kansas City Royals season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Royals finishing 3rd in the American League West with a record of 84 wins and 78 losses. This was George Brett's final season in the major leagues, as well as the team's final season in the AL West.
- November 17, 1992: Kerwin Moore was drafted from the Royals by the Florida Marlins as the 61st pick in the 1992 MLB expansion draft.
- November 19, 1992: Dennis Moeller and Joel Johnston were traded by the Royals to the Pittsburgh Pirates for José Lind.
- November 25, 1992: Mark Gubicza was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- December 8, 1992: David Cone was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- December 8, 1992: Greg Gagne was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- December 9, 1992: Jeff Shaw and Tim Spehr were traded by the Royals to the Montreal Expos for Mark Gardner and Doug Piatt.
- January 27, 1993: Hubie Brooks was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- February 22, 1993: Gregg Jefferies and Ed Gerald (minors) were traded by the Royals to the St. Louis Cardinals for Félix José and Craig Wilson.
- February 26, 1993: Scott Bailes was signed as a Free Agent with the Kansas City Royals.
|Chicago White Sox||94||68||0.580||—||45–36||49–32|
|Kansas City Royals||84||78||0.519||10||43–38||41–40|
Record vs. opponents
1993 American League Records
- April 3, 1993: Scott Bailes was released by the Kansas City Royals.
- April 26, 1993: Mike Boddicker was purchased from the Royals by the Milwaukee Brewers.
- April 27, 1993: Tuffy Rhodes was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- June 3, 1993: Jacque Jones was drafted by the Royals in the 31st round of the 1993 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign.
- June 14, 1993: Dave Stieb was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- June 19, 1993: Gary Gaetti was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- July 30, 1993: Tuffy Rhodes was traded by the Royals to the Chicago Cubs as part of a 3-team trade. The New York Yankees sent John Habyan to the Royals. The Cubs sent Paul Assenmacher to the Yankees.
- July 30, 1993: Greg Cadaret was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- July 31, 1993: Dave Stieb was released by the Royals.
- July 31, 1993: Jon Lieber and Dan Miceli were traded by the Royals to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Stan Belinda.
- August 1, 1993: Owner Ewing Kauffman was traded to the great beyond in exchange for losing seasons in 17 of the following 19 years.
|1993 Kansas City Royals|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
- Kerwin Moore at Baseball Reference
- Jose Lind at Baseball Reference
- Mark Gubicza at Baseball Reference
- David Cone at Baseball Reference
- Greg Gagne at Baseball Reference
- Doug Piatt at Baseball Reference
- Hubie Brooks at Baseball Reference
- Félix José at Baseball Reference
- Mike Boddicker at Baseball Reference
- Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes at Baseball Reference
- Jacque Jones at Baseball Reference
- Dave Stieb at Baseball Reference
- Gary Gaetti at Baseball Reference
- Greg Cadaret at Baseball Reference
- Stan Belinda at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997