1986 Oakland Athletics season
|1986 Oakland Athletics|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Walter A. Haas, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Sandy Alderson|
|Manager(s)||Jackie Moore, Jeff Newman, Tony La Russa|
(Bill King, Lon Simmons, Ray Fosse)
(Bill King, Lon Simmons, Ted Robinson)
(Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, Julio Gonzalez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- November 13, 1985: Bárbaro Garbey was traded by the Detroit Tigers to the Oakland Athletics for Dave Collins.
- December 10, 1985: Mike Heath and Tim Conroy were traded by the Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for Joaquín Andújar.
- January 17, 1986: Phil Stephenson and Bob Bathe (minors) were traded by the Athletics to the Chicago Cubs for Gary Jones (minors) and John Cox (minors).
- February 1, 1986: Lenn Sakata was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- March 21, 1986: Bárbaro Garbey was released by the Oakland Athletics.
- March 30, 1986: Charlie O'Brien, Steve Kiefer, Mike Fulmer (minors) and Pete Kendrick (minors) were traded by the Athletics to the Milwaukee Brewers for Moose Haas.
- August 22, 1986: Mark McGwire made his major league debut against the New York Yankees. He had three at-bats and no hits. Three days later, McGwire hit his first major league home run off Walt Terrell of the Detroit Tigers in a 8-4 win.
- September 12, 1986: In a game against the Cleveland Indians, Terry Steinbach hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat. Steinbach became the 54th player to achieve the feat.
|Kansas City Royals||76||86||0.469||16||45–36||31–50|
|Chicago White Sox||72||90||0.444||20||41–40||31–50|
Record vs. opponents
1986 American League Records
- April 4, 1986: Jerry Willard was signed as a free agent by the Athletics.
- May 20, 1986: Keith Atherton was traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named later and cash. The Minnesota Twins sent Eric Broersma (minors) (May 23, 1986) to the Oakland Athletics to complete the trade.
- May 23, 1986: Dave Stewart was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- June 1, 1986: Dave Von Ohlen was purchased by the Athletics from the Miami Marlins.
- July 10, 1986: Mike Bordick was signed by the Athletics as an amateur free agent.
- July 10, 1986: Ozzie Canseco was signed as a free agent by the Oakland Athletics.
- July 18, 1986: Rick Langford was released by the Athletics.
|1986 Oakland Athletics|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Dave Von Ohlen||24||0||3||1||3.52||4|
Awards and honors
|AAA||Tacoma Tigers||Pacific Coast League||Keith Lieppman|
|AA||Huntsville Stars||Southern League||Brad Fischer|
|A||Modesto A's||California League||Tommie Reynolds|
|A||Madison Muskies||Midwest League||Jim Nettles|
|A-Short Season||Medford A's||Northwest League||Dave Hudgens|
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.
- Joaquín Andújar at Baseball Reference
- Phil Stephenson at Baseball Reference
- Charlie O'Brien at Baseball Reference
- Mark McGwire at Baseball Reference
- Jerry Willard at Baseball Reference
- Dave Stewart at Baseball Reference
- Dave Von Ohlen at Baseball Reference
- Mike Bordick at Baseball Reference
- Ozzie Canseco at Baseball Reference
- Rick Langford at Baseball Reference
- Bret Barberie at Baseball Reference
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.266, David Nemec and Scott latow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0