1960 Boston Red Sox season
|1960 Boston Red Sox|
|Ted Williams' Final Season|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Bucky Harris|
|Manager(s)||Billy Jurges (W-15; L-27), Del Baker (W-2; L-5) and Pinky Higgins (W-48; L-57)|
|Local television||WHDH-TV, Ch. 5|
(Curt Gowdy, Bill Crowley, Art Gleeson)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1960 Boston Red Sox season was the 60th season in the franchise's Major League Baseball history. The Red Sox finished seventh in the American League (AL) with a record of 65 wins and 89 losses, 32 games behind the AL champion New York Yankees.
Manager Billy Jurges was replaced by Mike "Pinky" Higgins. Ted Williams retired at the end of the season. In his final at bat, Ted Williams hit the 521st home run of his career. Williams finished the season with a .316 batting average at the age of 41.
|New York Yankees||97||57||.630||--|
|Chicago White Sox||87||67||.565||10|
|Boston Red Sox||65||89||.422||32|
|Kansas City Athletics||58||96||.377||39|
Record vs. opponents
1960 American League Records
- May 6, 1960: Nelson Chittum was traded by the Red Sox to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Rip Repulski.
- May 17, 1960: Ron Jackson was traded by the Red Sox to the Milwaukee Braves for Ray Boone.
- June 13, 1960: Marty Keough and Ted Bowsfield were traded by the Red Sox to the Cleveland Indians for Russ Nixon and Carroll Hardy.
- September 14, 1960: Ray Boone was released by the Red Sox.
Opening Day lineup
|1960 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
- The Boston Red Sox, Milton Cole and Jim Kaplan, p.32, World Publications Group, North Dighton, Massachusetts, ISBN 1-57215-412-8
- Rip Repulski page at Baseball-Reference
- Red Sox sells Jackson
- "Indians, Red Sox exchange players". Milwaukee Journal. AP. 13 June 1960. p. 16. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007