1958 British Empire and Commonwealth Games
|Host city||Cardiff, Wales|
|Opening ceremony||18 July|
|Closing ceremony||26 July|
|Queen's Baton Final Runner||Ken Jones|
|Main venue||Cardiff Arms Park|
Thirty-five nations sent a total of 1,130 athletes and 228 officials to the Cardiff Games and 23 countries and dependencies won medals, including, for the first time, Singapore, Ghana, Kenya and the Isle of Man.
The Cardiff Games introduced the Queen's Baton Relay, which has been conducted as a prelude to every British Empire and Commonwealth Games ever since.
The British Empire and Commonwealth Games, including the opening and closing ceremonies, were held at the Cardiff Arms Park in the centre Cardiff. A new Wales Empire Pool was constructed for the event. The Sophia Gardens Pavilion was used for the boxing and wrestling events, and Maindy Stadium was used for cycling. 178,000 tickets were eventually sold during the Games.
36 countries and territories were represented (and 1,100 athletes), being the largest number to date, with a significant number of teams competing for the first time at the 1958 British Empire and Commonwealth Games.
At Cardiff Arms Park, an anti-apartheid crowd protested at the all-white South African team; games organisers responded that non-white South Africans were ineligible as their associations were not affiliated to the international federations. South Africa left the Commonwealth in 1961 and next appeared at the Games in 1994.
(Teams competing for the first time are shown in bold).
|Participating Commonwealth countries and territories|
Medals by country
Host nation (Wales)
Medals by event
Boxing Events were at Sophia Gardens Pavilion, Cardiff.
The track cycling events were held at the Maindy Stadium in Cardiff.
|10 Miles Scratch||Men||00:21:40|
|Foil - Team||Men|
|Épée - Team||Men|
|Sabre - Team||Men|
The rowing events were held on Llyn Padarn in Llanberis.
|Double Sculls||Men||00:06:54||00:07:01||+0.75 lgths|
Swimming events were held at the Wales Empire Pool in Cardiff.
|110 yd freestyle||56.6||56.6||57.0|
|440 yd freestyle||4:25.9||4:28.5||4:32.4|
|1650 yd freestyle||17:45.4||18:17.2||18:19.2|
|110 yd backstroke||1:01.7||1:03.5||1:06.5|
|220 yd breaststroke||2:41.6||2:44.9||2:47.3|
|220 yd butterfly||2:22.6||2:25.5||2:31.0|
|4×220 yd freestyle relay|
|4×110 yd medley relay|
|110 yd freestyle||1:01.4||1:03.8||1:04.0|
|440 yd freestyle||4:49.4||5:00.8||5:06.7|
|110 yd backstroke||1:11.9||1:12.6||1:13.7|
|220 yd breaststroke||2:53.5||2:58.2||2:58.4|
|110 yd butterfly||1:13.5||1:14.4||1:15.9|
|4×110 yd freestyle relay|
|4×110 yd medley relay|
Diving events were held at the Wales Empire Pool in Cardiff.
|3 Metres Springboard Diving||Men||126.78||124.62||118.81|
|10 Metres Highboard [Platform] Diving||Men||147.79||144.49||138.5|
|3 Metres Springboard Diving||Women||118.81||117.01||113.3|
|10 Metres Highboard [Platform] Diving||Women||77.23||73.69||65.82|
|Bantamweight - Overall||Men||299||285.5||274|
|Featherweight - Overall||Men||310.5||306||304|
|Lightweight - Overall||Men||358||340||340|
|Middleweight - Overall||Men||360.5||360.5||356|
|Light Heavyweight - Overall||Men||396.5||385.5||385.5|
|Middle Heavyweight - Overall||Men||403.5||392||378.5|
|Heavyweight - Overall||Men||455.5||446.5||394.5|
- Williams (Ed.), Stewart (1973). "Chapter 2: J.H.Morgan reviews fifty years of sport in Cardiff". The Cardiff Book: Volume I. Stewart Williams Publishers. pp. 35–36. ISBN 0-900807-05-9.
- "A brief history of Sophia Gardens". ESPN. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "1958 British Empire & Commonwealth Games". thecgf.com/. Commonwealth Games Federation. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- Prior, Neil (19 July 2012). "Cardiff Empire Games 1958: A 'triumph' for Wales". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- Ramsamy, Sam (1991). "Apartheid and Olympism: on the Abolishment of Institutionalized Discrimination in International Sport". In Fernand Landry, Marc Landry, Magdeleine Yerlès. Sport, the Third Millennium: Proceedings of the International Symposium, Quebec City, Canada, May 21-25, 1990. Presses Université Laval. pp. 539–548: 540. ISBN 9782763772677. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Commonwealth Games Official Site
- Pathe news: Commonwealth Games Cardiff 1958 reel 1
- Pathe news: Commonwealth Games Cardiff 1958 reel 2
| British Empire and Commonwealth Games
VI British Empire and Commonwealth Games