Şehzade Mehmed Abid
|Şehzade Mehmed Abid|
شہزادہ محمد عابد
17 September 1905|
Yıldız Palace, Istanbul, Ottoman Empire
8 December 1973 68) (aged|
Pınarıdil Fahriye Hanım|
Princess Senije Zogu
|Father||Abdul Hamid II|
Şehzade Mehmed Abid was born in the Yıldiz Palace on 17 September 1905. His mother was Naciye Hanım. At the overthrew of her father in 1909, the Abid followed his parents into exile at Salonica. They were living in Alatini Mansion. A year after he returned to Istanbul and settled in the Beylerbeyi Palace with his father. Abid was thirteen when his father, Abdulhamid II died. He educated at the Galatasaray and Habibiya Colleges, Constantinople. In 1923 his mother also died, when he was eighteen.
When the Ottoman Empire was dissolved in 1924, the royal family went into exile. Abid wanted to settle in Egypt. However, King Fuad did not allow the family to enter Egypt. He first went to Beirut, while his eldest brother Şehzade Mehmed Selim, settled in Jünye. Şehzade Abid later went to Nice. There he stayed with his sister Hamide Ayşe Sultan.
He later went to Paris and graduated from the Sorbonne Law School in 1936 and in the Faculty of Political Science in 1937. He also studied French Language and Literature from the Ecole Nationale des Langues Oriantales Vivantes. Between 1940 and 1948 he lived in Toulouse, Nice, Madrid, Lisbon, Cairo, Alexandria and Tirana. He was also appointed Albanian Ambassador to France.
He married two times:
- He married firstly to Pınardil Fahriye Hanım (died c. 1934 Nice, France, buried in Muslim Bobigny Cemetery), without issue;
- He married secondly in Tirana on 12 January 1936 and divorced in 1949 Princess Senije Zogu (Mati, 15 November 1908 – Cannes, 15 April 1969), sister of King Zog I, without issue.
Title and style
Devletlü Necabetlü Şehzade-i Civanbaht Sultan Mehmed Abid Efendi Hazretleri (The Illustarious, Noble, Prosperous Prince His Imperial Highness Sultan Mehmed Abid).
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Fidelity (Kingdom of Albania, 1936).
- RAYDAN SEYYAR SATICILIĞA: ŞEHZÂDE ÂBİD EFENDİ
- Robert Elsie (December 24, 2012). A Biographical Dictionary of Albanian History. I.B.Tauris. p. 506. ISBN 978-17807-643-13.
- Yılmaz Öztuna (2008). II. Abdülhamîd: zamânı ve şahsiyeti. Kubbealti Publishing. pp. 238–9. ISBN 978-97564-446-27.
- Fransa'daki Şehzade Kabirlerinin Durumu İçler Acısı
- Albanian Royal Court