"in bold letters" vs. "in bold"



I wonder which form(s) are correct amongst the following:

The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold.

The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold letters.

Franck Dernoncourt

Posted 2016-08-04T19:14:17.750

Reputation: 3 843

Just in bold. "The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold." – Mark Hubbard – 2016-08-04T19:17:24.760

There's nothing wrong with either of them... another option is "in bold lettering" or "in bold text"... it's all up to you. – Catija – 2016-08-04T19:18:24.660

Either is acceptable and their meanings are identical. – P. E. Dant Reinstate Monica – 2016-08-04T19:18:28.063

@MarkHubbard, Both are correct.Here is an Ngram for "in bold letters". https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=in+bold+letters&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cin%20bold%20letters%3B%2Cc0

– JavaLatte – 2016-08-04T19:19:25.487



You just use "in bold."

Including "letters" is not incorrect, but omitting it is more common.

However, if you were describing the design of the letters, you might refer to a particular design as "a bold typeface," or "a bold font." The difference between typeface and font is another question for another day – they're generally interchangeable in normal conversation and writing, but in a technical discussion they refer to different things.

Another related term is to embolden, which is the verb for causing text to appear in bold. It's falling out of favour now, and you're unlikely to see it outside of formal texts. In common conversation, you're more likely to hear to bold or to make bold in its place.


Posted 2016-08-04T19:14:17.750

Reputation: 5 462