"Brexit, Grexit, with the possibility of Spexit"


"Brexit, Grexit, with the possibility of Spexit"

What are they called in linguistic?

Is the form of those blend words the same as pangry and hangry?


Posted 2016-04-01T15:23:21.073

Reputation: 1 619

Question was closed 2016-04-04T19:26:56.393


From oxforddictionaries online *2012 (as Brixit): blend of British (or Britain) and exit, probably on the pattern of Grexit (coined earlier in the same year).* New *blend* words like this are a subclass of *neologisms*, or *coinages* in general.

– FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica – 2016-04-01T15:35:13.543

Nouns? Rhymes? Neologisms? Words? What quality of these words are you asking about? – Adam – 2016-04-01T15:35:21.280


How do you feel about portmanteau?

– user8399 – 2016-04-01T15:38:42.460

Are you quoting something here? What is the source? Context? – laugh salutes Monica C – 2016-04-01T18:39:59.277

1I suppose there's no point in writing an answer now that both blend and portmanteau have been suggested in the comments section, so I'll just point out that linguists generally use the term blend for this kind of coinage rather than portmanteau. They might also be called nonce words. – snailplane – 2016-04-02T00:20:37.137

1@snailboat: There is indeed a point in writing an answer: namely, to get this question off the Unanswered list. Will you do the honors? – ruakh – 2016-04-03T23:10:17.147

No answers