What are these things called?


I recently went on a trip to Peru, and met some pre-inca people. They braid their long hair into two ponytails, and weave balls of cotton to the end of the ponytail. What are those called? Bon-bons or something like that?pic

ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Posted 2015-01-01T14:55:10.550

Reputation: 2 202



What are those called? Bon-bons or something like that?

I think you might be mixing up pompons and bonbons.

A bonbon is a piece of candy, often covered in chocolate.

A pompon is an ornamental woolen ball.

The word pompon in English can also be spelled pompom or pom-pom.

For what it's worth, I found these images on Google by search for pompons and bonbons:

enter image description here


Posted 2015-01-01T14:55:10.550

Reputation: 108 123


You phonetic memory wasn't far off: The word you are looking for is probably "pom-pom" (not bon-bon).

But I agree with Dmandy, you could also call them "tassels".


Posted 2015-01-01T14:55:10.550

Reputation: 14 048


Bon-Bons are two buns on the either side of the head

These look more like tassels


Posted 2015-01-01T14:55:10.550

Reputation: 137

Tassel suggests that the strings hang down from a knotted ball at the top, not tied into a ball at the bottom. Take a look at these images of tassels. – Ben Kovitz – 2015-01-02T02:05:09.640