BSc, MSc, PhD vs. B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D


ODO prefers Ph.D. over PhD in US English. But at the same time, there is no B.Sc. and no M.Sc. entry in OED, which leads me into thinking that there is a mismatch: Ph.D. is typically written with periods, but MSc and BSc without in the US English. Am I right? Which forms are most widespread in the US? And in the UK?


Posted 2018-03-24T23:03:16.720




In the US, the Associated Press style uses periods: B.S., M.S., Ph.D., M.D., etc. However, other sources may use a different style, (e.g. PhD).

B.Sc. and M.Sc. are not the usual degree abbreviations in the US. Instead use B.S. and M.S.


Posted 2018-03-24T23:03:16.720

Reputation: 85 521

2To complete the answer, add that in British usage, no periods: PhD, MSc MA BSc BA and so on – James K – 2018-03-24T23:29:09.823