I run my espresso machine until my whole cup is full. What's my coffee called?



I have a cheap espresso machine. I grind dark roast beans separately, fill a "double" filter with it, run the espresso machine and won't turn it off until my ~250ml cup is completely filled. I drink it right away, brewed coffee style, without adding anything.

It's not Americano (it's got crema all over it), too much water to be espresso, and to my understanding, Long Black is espresso added to water.

Is this simply, regular brewed coffee with crema?


Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 218

1I absolutely love this question. It feels very existential. Do we define espresso as that which comes out of an espresso machine? So call it whatever? I guess... and what's crema?Ed Cooper 2016-02-25T03:47:02.307

@EdCooper: It's the thin layer of foam at the top of a cup of espresso.Lightness Races in Orbit 2016-03-01T11:32:21.847

I call it, my next cuppacoffee.Alaska man 2017-03-17T17:48:34.547



I'd say that it's a caffè crema which is generally made the way you make your coffee and is about 240 ml. It's about 3 times more water than a normale.

Eli Sadoff

Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 366


In Wikipedia it is said it is common in Belgium. However, I have never heard of that. It is very likely that I have spent my time at the north side of the country. Thanks for the info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffè_crema

MT San 2016-02-24T22:16:34.147

Honestly, I've never actually been to Belgium; however, I'm really obsessed with crema so I make myself a caffè crema sometimes. I called it an Eli stro because my name is Eli but then I found out it has an actual name.Eli Sadoff 2016-02-24T22:18:31.350

It is also the "standard" coffee people drink in Germany.greenglass 2016-08-25T21:03:16.627

1@greenglass With the growing market share of bean-to-cup machines in offices and bakeries, it may seem that way (as they brew caffé crema), but I still think that classical filter coffee is more common.DCTLib 2016-10-17T08:22:12.297

People in Germany mainly drink Cappuccini when they go to cafés. There is a trend to black coffee, mainly in form of Americanos/Long Blacks but increasingly pour overs and other filter methods. I definitely think though that a Cappuccino is the most sold coffee in german cafés by quite a bit. The main exception are as mentioned before cafeterias at Unis and offices that have industrial grade been to cup machines. What comes out of those as cafe "creme" only takes like 10s to brew though...so not sure we should give it the name of an espresso based drink at all.avocado1 2017-03-09T15:27:23.703


I would also go for caffè crema (more water than a lungo). There is no strict agreement on at how much water does it stop being a lungo and starts being a crema. But I guess "lungo" is more well known around the world, at least on countries where Nespresso is available, since their capsules for long coffees are called "lungo".

Here in Mexico, the waiter / barista might ask you if you want your espresso "corto" (short) or "largo" (long). Corto is the usual espresso size (not ristretto) and largo is about twice the amount of water. This is not an uncommon practice, but not everyone offers it.

Anyhow, just be careful not to be over-extracting. If your coffee beans can handle that amount of water without over-extraction (which results in excessive bitterness because of burned-down oils, and possibly too much caffeine), great. Some beans do, some don't.

Have you tried a traditional americano (shot of espresso + added hot water)? Compare the flavor between both to get a reference on how a "normal" extraction goes on your beans vs. the extended extraction you are currently having.

Alejandro Julien

Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 111

I agree. Additionally, if you don't have a relatively coarse grind Caffè Crema will taste absolutely terrible.Eli Sadoff 2016-02-24T23:10:59.240

So, a coarser grind will give a better Crema? Didn't know that. Will try it.Alejandro Julien 2016-02-25T18:13:16.080


This is called Lungo, Italian for "Long coffee". Typically it is prepared around 150 ml.

More info is here: Lungo (Wikipedia).

MT San

Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 4 807


In Italy this could be asked for by requesting a Caffè doppio (admittedly a bit borderline with a lungo)


Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 111


Doesn't doppio usually refer to a double-espresso, using twice the amount of grounds (and water) than a single/solo? Welcome to [coffee.se].

hoc_age 2016-03-01T02:52:37.010

Thanks for the welcome. The op is actually filling a double filter and using it for 250ml cup. A friend of mine used to drink coffee like this (i'd say probably less than 250 but huge in comparison to my espresso: for me it was a bit too extreme, that's why I noted it) and he explained to barmen like this. I don't know if a specific definition exist, this is admittedly only an anecdote. If it doesn't fit I can remove my answer.Francesco 2016-03-01T06:18:05.977

1Sorry, I wasn't clear; I meant that a "standard" doppio is double-grounds, double-water. This is that situation... plus more water put through the grounds. Your answer was short and I was just asking for a bit more clarification, which you gave; now it's more clear; thanks! Doppio wasn't mentioned elsewhere; feel free to leave it (or add to it). Thanks for the clarification!hoc_age 2016-03-01T13:28:37.027


A customer in the store that i work comes every day and buy this. He called it "super lugo". I think it's just a double lugo with extra water (from the grouphead). So you don't loose the taste of the espresso, if you want a kind of filter coffee with espresso taste.

κατερινα Σαραντοπουλου

Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 11


It can be called a caffè creme, a (very long) lungo, or a spoiled cup of espresso.

It is important to note that a lungo isn't achieved by just letting the water run for longer, you have to adjust the grind to get a faster flow, so that you get a larger volume in actually a shorter time.

If you grind for normal espresso and then let the machine run for a minute or two to fill your cup, your'e over-extracting your coffee which will result in an unpleasant taste.

The water should always be stopped at the "blonding point", when the stream gets lighter; do not let it run for long after that or you'll ruin your nice drink. Adjust the grind to get more or less water in the cup before that happens.


Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 111


This is a "Long" or a "Long Espresso".

In French Canada we call it an "Allongé".

But if you have a very big mug I would just call it blech!


Posted 2016-02-24T16:46:15.457

Reputation: 101

Your answer is similar to this one, but does include local information. Would you consider changing your answer to a comment?

hoc_age 2017-03-09T06:54:31.630